Tuesday, October 13, 2015

[Log] Dungeons & Dragons Castle Ravenloft Heroes - Part 3

October 6, 2015 to October 12. 2015 - This past week I worked on the remaining three heroes from Castle Ravenloft. I did not expected to finish them by the beginning of this week, but I did! So now I am slightly ahead of schedule. My Hilvin Guild for Adventurers now have 9 heroes!
Heroes of Ravenloft completed!
As with Allisa and Arjhan (background), I tried to paint the last three heroes in a similar theme as represented by their illustration in their Hero Tiles. I also put more effort into painting eyes on miniatures.


With Thorgrim, I went with a yellow color theme. I was worried that the hair and robe might be too similar in color that it is difficult to separate. From a full arm distance away, they seem to be different enough to make apart. I am quite happy with the eyes.

With Immeril, I went with a purple and blue color theme. With this miniature I practice highlighting the cloak and shirt by applying multiple layers of the purple base color mixed with increasing amount of white paint for each subsequent layer. I'm not too content with the fire, thinking I need to have more yellow and less orange.

Finally with Kat, I went with a grey and black color theme. Of the five heroes for Castle Ravenloft, I did not like Kat the most when unpainted. After painting her, I actually found the model to be fairly nice. In contrast to Immeril which is fairly bright, I wanted to paint Kat's outfit to look darker than her companions. I am trying to find the right balance between highlights and shades.Too much highlight and a dark colored item may look too light. Not enough highlights and details become obscured. For the gray cloak I left the back side with few highlights, but the front of the cloak around the neck I added a strong highlight. The hairline of the model head a rather large forehead. I actually painted more hair to decrease the size of the forehead. With Kat's black hair I went with a slightly blue-tint for the highlights.

After finishing these miniatures there were two things I wanted to improve on--fire and hair. I found Hot Lead's Fire - Theory article to be very informative, and will use it as a guide when I attempt to paint fire again. Hand Cannon Online's Tutorial: Advanced – Glorious Locks: Painting Hair gave various ways to pain brown, blonde, and black hair,  That should help me expand on my repertoire of hair painting schemes.

Now that the heroes of Ravenloft are finished, I will work on the mighty cannon next, hoping to finish it within 2-3 weeks. After the cannon is done, I will work on either the Battle Masters Chaos Army miniatures or the Wrath of Ashardalon Heroes.

Previous Log Entry - [Log] Dungeons & Dragons Castle Ravenloft Heroes - Part 2
Next Related Log Entry - [Log] Dungeons & Dragons Castle Ravenloft Monsters & Villains - Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment