Saturday, September 26, 2015

[Workshop] Putties

Updated on April 30, 2016. This post will list the variety of putty that I have in my inventory and what I use them for. I use putty for conversions and filling gaps, however, my main interest is to use putty so that I can make use of all the extra bits from the plastic kits. For example, I have extra human heads and arms. I decided to make the torso and legs so that I can make an extra Empire crew member. My sculpting is rather basic and there is a lot of room for improvement! Nevertheless, if I can get better with putty, it will open up an entire new section to my miniature hobby.
Yellow-grey putty was used to make the torso and leg.

Apoxie Sculpt - Cheaper putty that I can buy in bulk. Tested it out for terrain and base texture, Works pretty well, though fine detail is not as crisp compared to the other putty.

Yellow-Grey Putty (Milliput) - longer working time, feels like clay at the beginning but slowly hardens to be more rigid. Seems good for forming bulk of a miniature. Can file to shape the harden putty. Also mentioned to be a useful gap filler. Moderately priced.
Green putty was used to make the large rock
Green Stuff Putty (Games Workshop) - shorter working time and stickier but seems like you can get immediate results.  I think this works best for sculpting when there is an outline or form to work with.

Grey Putty (Procreate) - have not tried this putty. Seems like an intermediate between the milliput and kneadatite putty.
Liquid green stuff was used to fill the gaps at the arm joints.
Liquid Green Stuff (Games Workshop) - filling in small gaps with a paint brush. Like the name suggest, not very viscous compare to the other putties. Can be filed when hardened.
White putty to fill in the gaps of the slotted base.
White Putty (Squadron) - filling in gaps with a spatula. Can be filed when hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment