Tuesday, March 22, 2016

[Archives] King's Wall

The King's Walls from Warhammer Fantasy Battle 7th Edition starter box: Battle for Skull Pass Set were the first plastic items I painted that were not from the games I played as a child (Battle Masters and HeroQuest). Since I had more than one fence, I decided to experiment with them to see if I can identify differences between painting miniatures with a white or black undercoat. With the way I was painting back then--opaque paint coverage rather than a semi-transparent paint coverage--I really don't see much of a difference. It was a fun and fairly simple terrain piece to paint. I used the painted version of the King's Walls from the box front and back cover as a template for my paint scheme.


Notes: The original binder notes were on page 11. I worked on two walls at the same time to see if I notice any differences between using a black (left) or white (right) undercoat. The white undercoat wall is a bit darker, but I think this is due to using a tad bit more Badab Black wash than due to the choice of undercoat. I am doing the undercoat by old fashion paint brush and not spray. The white paint does not cover very well compared to black (using apple barrel products for the undercoats), so I think for all my future paintings, I will be sticking to a black undercoat (March 22, 2016 note - which I have now switched to using Gesso instead of regular acrylic paint as an undercoat).

Basic Information

Models: King's Wall from Warhammer Fantasy, 7th Edition Starter Set - Battle for Skull Pass
Quantity and Material: 2 identical plastic models
Usage: Fences or Walls
Started work on the Models: August 13, 2010
Completed Models: August 18. 2010
Black Undercoat
White Undercoat

Paint Scheme

  • Entire model (except base) - Adeptus Battlegrey, Badab Black wash
    • Helmets (3) - Tin Bitz, Dwarf Bronze:Tin Bitz mix drybrush, Dwarf Bronze drybrush
      • Bolts - Boltgun Metal
    • Stone Faces (3) - Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, Badab Black
    • Chains (4) Boltgun Metal, Badab Black
    • Shileds (1 behind wall, 2 as part of wall)
      • Outer Rim/Interior portions - Boltgun Metal, Badab Black, Chainmail
      • Decorative Face - Tin Bitz, Dwarf Bronze:Tin Bitz mix, Dwarf Bronze
    • Ornaments (3) - Tin Bitz, Dwarf Bronze:Tin Bitz mix, Dwarf Bronze
    • Axe
      • Handle - Tin Bitz, Dwarf Bronze, Shining Gold
      • Blade - Boltgun Metal, Badab Black, small highlight with Chainmail
    • Handles (3) - Boltgun Metal, Badab Black wash
    • Bugman's Cup - Boltgun Metal, Chainmail to the lettering
    • Bag (Back) - Bestial Brown
    • Pipe (Back) - Boltgun Metal

No comments:

Post a Comment