Friday, September 25, 2015

[Workshop] Undercoat

The first 51 miniatures I completed, I use White or Black acrylic paint (Apple Barrel) as the undercoat. The paint adheres fairly well to the plastic miniatures.  However, for metal miniatures, the Apple Barrel paints have a tendency to peel off from the metal. Currently, I undercoat models with acrylic gesso and found it adheres to metal and plastic miniatures very well.

I am using two different brands of acrylic gesso: Utrecht Artists Acrylic Gesso (black) and Artist Lofts Acrylic Gesso (White).  The black gesso gives good coverage with one layer. Because it is black, I need a bright light source to see the miniature details better. The white gesso, requires multiple coats to get good coverage, but I can see details a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment