Monday, March 14, 2016

[Archives] Trees, Woodland Scenics

Last Updated on August 13. 2016 - Trees...lots of trees! I completed 14 trees and have 26 more trees that is near completion. I just have to complete their bases. The trees. however, are currently in a storage box until I have more game room space. The original purpose for these trees was to use them as modular difficult and very difficult terrain pieces for Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Now, I plan to use them as individual terrain pieces for skirmish games such as Infinity. Back then, I decided on a general theme for my game terrains--a battlefield stomped around by troops. So overall, the ground will be patchy with grass. The original idea was that the tree terrains will have slightly more grass than the other terrain pieces as armies would not trampled forest area as much as they would in open terrain.

Notes: The trees are made by Woodland Scenics ranging from 3" to 7" tall Deciduous Tree Armatures with light, medium, and dark green Clump-Foliage attached with Hob-e-Tac glue. Gorilla glue was applied to the center of the 4" square bases. 2 coats of Nutmeg Brown were applied and Scenic Cement as adhesive was brushed onto the bases. I applied flock  that was a mixture of fine sand/green fine turf/earth fine turf). I left some bare spots as hard ground. I sprayed another layer of Scenic Cement to seal the bases. Overall, I am pleased with the results. The foliage on the trees are somewhat not stable. I will need to reconsider how to make trees the next I am making them. Original binder notes for these terrain pieces is on page 7.

Basic Information

Models: Trees (Woodland Scenics)
Quantity and Material: 14, Plastic
Usage: Individual Trees
Started work on the Models: December 28, 2009
Completed Terrain: January 7, 2010
Undercoat:Black
Base: Fine sand and fine turf that was a mix of "green grass" and and "earth" color

Update archive post with better pictures. I am deciding whether to re-base these trees. I also have many Woodland scenics trees that still need to be completed:

14 - 3 to 5 inch trees on 3 inch square base (January 8, 2011)
6 - 5 to 7 inch trees on 3 inch square base (January 8, 2011)
6 - 5 to 7 inch trees on 4 inch square base (January 8, 2011)

I have plans on trying to convert these trees into "wilderness" tiles for role playing games.

No comments:

Post a Comment