Friday, March 4, 2016

[Archives] Hill, Homemade

I have collected miniatures and play games with them since the early 1990s. The late 2000s is when I started building, modeling, and painting game pieces. The very first thing I built for miniature gaming was this cardboard hill terrain. When I first made this terrain piece, I was quite happy with how it turned out. Since then, I have better terrain pieces to represent hills. In the future, I would like to go back to this terrain piece and convert it into some type of special terrain.

Notes: Original binder notes for this terrain piece is on page 5. Basically, I cut and layered corrugated cardboard boxes upon each other, with each layer on top being smaller than the layer underneath. In total there is 6 layers of cardboard. The base of the hill is ~1 feat long and the apex of the hill around 4" x 6" in size. I use black tape to cover the openings in the cardboard, then use black paint to undercoat the hill. Next, I add a laer of nutmeg brown, leaving some of the black paint visible. Finally I added a mixture of fine sand and green flock to cover the hill, leaving some of the brown paint to be visible. This gave the hill a somewhat patchy worn, stamped look.

Basic Information

Terrain: Hill (Homemade)
Quantity and Material: Corrugated Cardboard
Usage: Hill
Started work on the Models: November 17, 2009
Completed Terrain: December 6. 2009
Undercoat: Black
Base: Sand and Green Flock

The plan is to update this archive post with better pictures and also to update it when I revise the terrain for a different purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment