Wednesday, September 16, 2015

[Workshop] Horses - Painting Reference

Sometimes I will post Workshop articles that summarize my painting schemes for common subjects or themes. These articles will act as a reference guide to when I have to paint that particular subject or theme again. The first Workshop article of that type is about painting horses. Horses are prevalent in the fantasy setting whether as mounts for warriors or as workers pulling chariots or wagons down the battlefield. This week, I finished painting my first horse.  As there was a lot of armor on them, it made it a bit less daunting to paint. The plan is to update this post as I expand, improve, or revise my painting schemes on horses.
From left to right: Chestnut (red brown), brown, dark brown, and palomino color schemes

Flesh Colors 

4 variations -

  • Palomino - Tau Sept Ochre base / Gryphonne Sepia wash / Tau Sept Ochre layer / Iyanden Darksun highlight
  • Chestnut - Calthan Brown base / Ogryn Flesh Wash / Vermin Brown layer
  • Bay Type 1 - Calthan Brown base / Devlan Mud wash / Bestial Brown layer
  • Bay Type 2 - Khemri Brown base / Devlan Mud wash / Bestial Brown layer


Mane Colors 

Try 3 variations -

  • Black - Chaos Black / Skull White highlight and Fortress Grey Highlight / Badab Black wash if too much highlight
  • Brown - Calthan Brown / Devland Mud wash / Calthan Brown / Calthan Brown: Skull.
  • Cream/Yellow - Iyanden Darksun / Gryphonne Sepia / Iyanden Darksun / Iyanden Darkusn:Skull White
Places that I overdid the highlights, I went back with the wash.


Other

Hoof Colors, tried 2 variations -

  • Off-White - Kommando Khaki - Badab Black - Bleach Bone
  • Black -  Kommando Khaki - Badab Black - Chaos Black

Leg Markings
- Skull White None to Up to Knee

Horse eye
- skull white / badab black / then chaos black dab in the middle (I'm still not very good with eyes)

Mouth area
- Badab Black Wash to darken it compare to rest of body

No comments:

Post a Comment