Friday, September 30, 2016

My Hobby and Blog in September 2016

When I started collecting miniatures, I was truly a "Games Workshop hobbyist." As mentioned on their website, the "Games Workshop hobby is collecting, building, painting and playing games with Citadel miniatures." Replace Games Workshop with miniature gaming and cross out Citadel in the above phrase and that would describe how I feel I want my hobby to be about now. It is the end of September, and I decided to focus these monthly posts emphasizing on the collecting, building, painting, and playing aspects of the miniature hobby.
Immeril posing on top of a work in progress modular terrain tile

Collection

For the month of September I collected and invested into many different games and miniatures outside of my regular collection:

Yashima and Dragon Tides from Greenbrier. These miniatures are larger than majority of my miniature collection range. I was interested in the east Asian theme of Yashima, while Dragon Tides have the Bruce Lee miniature that is not included in Yashima.

Kings of War Historical Armies Book- The book have 30 lists of armies from Antiquity to Late Middle Ages that is fully compatible with the Kings of War fantasy armies. While I am not interested so much into the Kings of War game system, I wanted to get the book to be a guide for collecting historical armies through companies such as Perry Miniatures (medieval Europe, Japan. etc), Warlord Games (Romans, Egyptians, etc) amd Watchful I Studio (Chinese)

Relic Knights - the 40% discount on plastic Relic Knights products was a deciding factor for me to invest into this minature/game collection line. Brief snippets from Ninja Division indicate an expansion to Darkspace Calamity called Ascension and a new 2-player starter set called Void Break are in the works. A Kickstarter is planned for these new products in November 2016.

Siege of the Citadel, 2nd edition - a revision of a 1990s board game that I got baited into supporting the project due to both Ninja Division's support of the project with Chibi miniatures and that it is being made by Modiphius. Modiphius makes both the Infinity RPG and Mutant Chronicles RPG, 3rd edition (related to Siege of the Citadel). Both RPGs are based on 2d20 system. I have been eyeing for an sci-fi dungeon crawler board game for a while now...

Marvel Universe by Knight Models - a small skrimish game with Marvel characters that are broken into the Superhuman (Avengers), Mutants (X-men), and Cosmic (Guardians of the Galaxy) heroes and villains. The X-men figures reminded me greatly of the X-men cartoon in the 1990s and is the main reason I decided to purchase these miniatures.

September 2016 New Releases for Infinity (Usually will be available in October). Zanshi, Taskmaster, and Overdron are must buys for me

Building, Painting, and Creating

For September I have been working with Durham Rock Hard Water Putty to cast molds with Hirst Arts and Happy Seppuku products (see tile from first image). I hoped to start log entries on the casting molds and texture stamps in October. For October I want to try out a different and cheaper casting material called Densite Alpha Plaster. It is harder than regular plastet of paris.

With so many different miniatures for different products, I want to paint a single miniature or a small group of miniatures to represent the different game systems / miniature lines. This will be done after I complete the half-finished Orc warriors from Battle Masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment