Friday, August 28, 2015

[Workshop] Paints

Updated on November 15, 2017 - After 4 years, I am getting back into painting miniatures. Unfortunately, I found my line of paints from Citadel have been replaced with a new line. Lucky for me, I still have plenty of the old Citadel paints. It won't last forever, so I will need to find replacements.  This reference post lists all the paints I used and also possible substitutes when inevitably the paint runs out. Currently, I am using Plaid's Apple Barrel/Folk Art and Games Workshop's Citadel paint lines. I have also got several free Master Series Paint from Reaper.

Color cards I made for miniature painting reference. I cut index cards into smaller 
strips, painted one end with the sample color at different concentration,
punch a hole on the other end, and attach all of the color cards with a twist tie.

Paint Inventory

I am using Plaid's Apple Barrel and Folk Art paint lines mostly for large terrain and bases for my miniatures. These are general craft paints that are inexpensive compare to paints specific for miniatures. Apple Barrel is the standard acrylic paint line while Folk Art has metallic paints. These paints appear to be less concentrated to Citadel paints and requires more layers for the same affect.

Plaid

Apple Barrel (20 paints in my inventory)

Black
Pewter Grey
Burnt Umber
Nutmeg Brown
Country Tan
Antique White
White
Royal Violet
Petunia Purple
Cobalt Blue
Bright Blue
Regency Blue
Hunter Green
Christmas Green
Leaf Green
Barn Red
Bright Red
Pumpkin Orange
Apricot
Canary Yellow


Folk Art (21 paints in my inventory)

Metallic Pearl White
Metallic Silver Sterling
Metallic Silver Anniversary - lighter than silver sterling color
Metallic Sequin Black
Metallic Christmas Green
Metallic Bright Red
Metallic Amethyst
Metallic Blue Sapphire
Metallic Periwinkle
Metallic Inca Gold
Metallic Pure Gold x2
Metallic Antique Gold
Metallic Antique Copper
Metallic Copper
Metallic Solid Bronze
Brushed Bronze
Brushed Silver
Brushed Gold
Skintone
Light Flesh
Spun Sugar

DecoArt Dazzling Metallics (4 paints in my inventory)

Worn Penny
Copper
Shimmering Silver
Splendid Gold

Games Workshop's Citadel

Since I entered the miniature hobby mostly because of Games Workshop, I went with their Citadel paint line.  I currently have all of the older paint line before the change in 2012.  In parenthesis, is the latest paint colors suggested by Games Workshop as possible substitutes.  I will have to do some more research on the compatibility, but I found this review from Tale of Painters blog to be very useful.

Citadel Color (OOP - 38 items in my inventory)

Sunburst Yellow (Flash Gitz Yellow - Layer)
Golden Yellow (Yriel Yellow - Layer)
Blazing Orange (Troll Slayer Orange - Layer)
Blood Red (Evil Sunz Scarlet - Layer)
Red Gore (Wazdakka Red - Layer)
Scab Red (Khorne Red - Base)
Dark Flesh (Doombull Brown - Layer)
Dwarf Flesh (Ratskin Flesh - Base)
Elf Flesh (Kislev Flesh - Layer)
Liche Purple (Xereus Purple - Layer)
Warlock Purple (Screamer Pink - Base)
Regal Blue (Kantor Blue - Base)
Ultramarine Blue (Altdorf Guard Blue - Layer)
Enchanted Blue (Caledor Sky - Base)
Space Wolves Grey (Fenrisian Grey - Layer)
Shadow Grey (The Fang - Base)
Ice Blue (Lothern Blue - Layer)
Hawk Turquoise (Sotek Green - Layer)
Dark Angels Green (Caliban Green - Base)
Snot Green (Warpstone Glow - Layer)
Goblin Green (Warboss Green - Layer)
Scorpion Green (Moot Green - Layer)
Rotting Flesh (Nurgling Green - Layer)
Camo Green (Elysian Green - Layer)
Catachan Green (Castellan Green - Base)
Graveyard Earth (Steel Legion Drab - Base)
Scorched Brown (Rhinox Hide - Base)
Bestial Brown (Mournfang Brown - Base)
Vermin Brown (Skrag Brown - Layer)
Snakebite Leather (Balor Brown - Layer)
Bubonic Brown (Zamesi Desert - Layer)
Vomit Brown (Tau Light Ochre - Layer)
Desert Yellow (Tallarn Sand - Layer)
Kommando Khaki (Karak Stone - Layer)
Bleached Bone (Ushabti Bone - Layer)
Fortress Grey (Administratum Grey - Layer)
Codex Grey (Dawnstone - Layer)
Chaos Black (Abaddon Black - Base)
Skull White (White Scar - Layer)

Citadel Foundation (OOP - 18 items in my inventory)

Iyanden Darksun (Averland Sunset - Base)
Macharius Solar Orange (Jokaero Orange - Base)
Mechrite Red (Mephiston Red - Base)
Tau Sept Ochre (Balor Brown - Layer)
Calthan Brown (Mournfang Brown - Base)
Khemri Brown (Baneblade Brown - Layer)
Tallarn Flesh (Cadian Fleshtone - Layer)
Dheneb Stone (Rakarth Flesh - Base)
Gretchin Green (Death World Forest - Base)
Knarloc Green (Loren Forest - Layer)
Orkhide Shade (Caliban Green - Base)
Fenris Grey (The Fang - Base)
Hormagaunt Purple (Daemonette Hide - Base)
Mordian Blue (Macragge Blue - Base)
Charadon Granite (Stormvermin Fur - Layer)
Necron Abyss (Kantor Blue - Base)
Adeptus Battlegrey (Mechanicus Standard Grey - Base)
Astronomican Grey (Celestra Grey - Base)

Citadel Metallic (OOP - 7 items in my inventory)

Burnished Gold (Auric Armour Gold - Layer)
Shining Gold (Gehenna's Gold - Layer)
Dwarf Bronze (Hashut Copper - Layer)
Tin Bitz (Warplock Bronze - Base)
Boltgun Metal (Leadbelcher - Base)
Chainmail (Ironbreaker - Layer)
Mithril Silver (Runefang Steel - Layer)

Citadel Wash (OOP - 8 items in my inventory)

Gryphonne Sepia (Seraphim Sepia - Shade)
Baal Red (Carroburg Crimson - Shade)
Ogryn Flesh (Reikland FleshShade - Shade)
Devlan Mud (Agrax Earthshade - Shade)
Badab Black (Nuln Oil - Shade)
Leviathan Purple (Druchii Violet - Shade)
Asurmen Blue (Drakenhof Nightshade - Shade)
Thraka Green (Biel-Tan Green - Shade)

Citadel Technical (6 items in my inventory)

Soulstone Blue
Waystone Green
Spiritstone Red
Blood for the Blood God - For blood effects
'Ardcoat - Gloss varnish
Liquid Green Stuff - Material best used for filling small gaps on miniatures.

Citadel Shade (3 items in my inventory)

Agrax Earthshade

Citadel Base (1 item in my inventory)

Retributor Armour

Citadel Layer (3 items in my inventory)

Stormhost Silver
Liberator Gold
Auric Armour Gold

Citadel Glaze (4 items in my inventory)

Lamenters Yellow
Waywatcher Green
Bloodletter
Guilliman Blue

Reaper's Master Series Paint

I received some free paint bottles from Reaper. I have not tried them out yet.

Core Colors (11 colors in my inventory)

Spectral White
Maggot White
Moldy Skin
Vampiric Skin x2
Fresh Blood x2
Gory Red
Pumpkin Orange
Breast Cancer Awareness x4 (Promotional)
Sample (Tan / Flesh Color) x2
Sample (Cloud Blue) x 2
Sample (Dark Gray)

High Density Pigment (1 color in my inventory)

Charred Brown

Paint Maintenance

I started painting this week with Citadel paints that have been in storage for 4 years. Some of them have become very viscous. I add a dropper full of water into each bottle to prevent them from drying completely. To use the Citadel paints, I stab a toothpick into the viscous paint and, on a palette return it to liquid form with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment