Sunday, December 10, 2017

[Log] Workshop 4 - Magnetized Transport and Tray

I have been thinking for a while now on a custom system for storing, transporting, and displaying my miniatures. Over the past years, I browse through the internet looking at others' custom storage and transport systems. In addition, I considered commercial storage and transport system products. This got put on the sideline when I backed a Kickstarter project for a modular transport tray. In short, that campaign failed to produce a product. So I am back to working on that custom system.
My work in progress modular transport system for my miniatures.
I decided that my custom system will all have some type of magnetic receptive surface since all my painted miniatures have some form of a magnet placed underneath its base. The image above is my work in progress modular transport container.

Custom Transport Container

I went with Sterlite's Stack and Cary Storage Boxes for 4 clear plastic containers that can easily latched to each other for safer transport. For bottom containers to latched to the top container, the lid is removed. Only the container at the top can have a lid. Each container floor has a 28-gauge steel sheet attached to it. At first, I tried using Apoxie. The Apoxie adhere well to the metal but did not act as an adhesive between the metal and the polyurethane/polyethylene-based container. I finally decided to use E6000 adhesive, allowing 24 hours for it to cure.
Galvanized steel sheet glued to the polyurethane/polyethylene-based container.
These containers are ~3.5" tall within. That size is big enough for majority of my models, but some of my models are still too tall. I decided to cut out the bottom of one of the containers. I did this by using a hand vice to drill holes and then cutting along those holes.
Bottom of container with holes drilled in a rectangular outline.
Placing the cut container above a regular container, allows the transport of taller models. You can see this in the two top containers in the first image in this entry or in the example below.
These knights are able to fit in the bottom container when the the adjacent container on top have its floor cut out.
When I don't need to transport tall models, I can place the metal sheet glued to the cut-out floor back to the container. My plan is to insert magnets to each corner of the cut-container to prevent the steel sheet from moving around when the containers are accidentally jostled around,
The cut-out floor attached to a steel sheet.
The final touch to make it more pleasing to the eye and prevent possible cuts from the sharp metal edges. I plan to use foam sheet and tape to address those issues.

Custom Insert Tray

In the previous blog entry, I mentioned working on a tray with an insert. I decided to try making a tray insert for miniatures on 25 mm bases first. I first cut out the openings for the ~ 22 mm ceramic magnets and then mapped out where the other openings will be made.
Foam sheet mapped out on where the holes will be cut.
After cutting open the holes, I test out ease of the miniatures being placed within the opening and being taken out. This is important as I planned to sculpt a texture terrain on top of the foam sheet.
The foam sheet with the opening cut out.
The tray has four magnets underneath. Thus, I can place the tray securely into my custom made transport containers.
The work in progress tray with insert in the transport container.
The next update should be on the  continued work on the transport containers and/or the tray inserts.

Previous Log Entry: [Log] Workshop 3 - 6" x 6" Tiles, Texture Samples, and Custom Tray
Next Log Entry: [Log] Workshop 5 - Hobby Holder

No comments:

Post a Comment