Tuesday, November 28, 2017

[Log] Workshop 3 - 6" x 6" Tiles, Texture Samples, and Custom Tray

In the first two Workshop logs, I wrote about my first time experience using texture stamps and casting molds. In this log, I show the completion of 6" x 6" tiles that were made using both a casting mold (Your Board Tile Mould) and a texture stamp (Flagstone). They were painted with a gray color scheme with varying amount of sand or dust covering portions of the floor. I am quite happy with how they came out, but not sure if they will be used as I had originally intended - as dungeon tiles. I planned to write a [Workshop] entry on how I made them and also an [Archives] post.
Four 6" x 6" Flagstone Tiles. The top left  tile was an attempt to delineate the 1" squares.
I painted some sample textured bases that were poorly stamped or did not met my expectations. I am unhappy with the three Steel Starship Grating paintings as I was expecting the red and blue to stand out more. The three that were painted  looked quite messy. I am happy with how the wood narrow  plank, forest floor, and ferns texture turned out.

Various poorly stamped textured samples painted to a varying degree.
The bottom left texture in the above picture is a Stone Shore texture with a hole in the middle. That is a sample test before attempting to make custom tray inserts for a dry-erase board. The idea is to have the bottom portion of the insert to be craft foam, while the top of the foam is composed of Apoxie Sculpt. It seems to work as intended so I will be working on the full tray next time. The full tray consist of: 1 dry erase board, 2 tray inserts with magnets attached to them. Originally, I thought of the inserts for transport purposes, but I am seeing it being used more for display purposes.
Bottom (left) and top (center) view of the custom tray insert sample. Layout of two inserts placed into a tray (right).

Previous Log Entry: [Log] Workshop 2: Working with Casting Molds
Next Log Entry: [Log] Workshop 4: Magnetized Transport and Tray

No comments:

Post a Comment