Friday, March 25, 2016

My Hobby and Blog in March 2016 #3

The Four Heroes Workshop

Anything related to my projects, modelling, painting, etc.
Trying different skin color for Orcs and Goblins

Since the Last Update...

I touched up on Alain and Oriana. These have not been worked on as much since nephews and nieces have not been around.

I finished preparing all the Battle Masters Chaos Army infantry for painting. All infantry bases were painted and those models with eyes had them painted. I started work on the orcs and goblins skin, trying out three different green base coats. I think the light yellowish green color might be too light and different from the other skin colors. I likely will go with a darker green shade to those yellow-green skin orcs and goblins.


Priority Change and Logs

I found myself to be more enthusiastic about the miniature hobby when working on a variety of items, even though it may mean slower completion of miniatures and projects. Working on the Chaos Archers were really fun but also took me a good amount of time making them different. Its likely not an efficient way to get an entire army painted, but it was very satisfying for me to see the completed unit.
Whip photo whip-onion-head-emoticon.gif
I read this blog post "Two mistakes to avoid when you start out in miniatures painting" which is based originally from "Two mistakes I wish I was warned about when I started hobbying with miniatures." The second point both articles mentioned - paint because I want to and not because I feel obligated - is what I am currently feeling about painting fantasy armies. It is still a major goal I would like to achieve, but I think I prefer to complete and work on multiple smaller projects concurrently rather than focus solely on completing armies.

As mentioned in an earlier entry, I have decided to change what the "Log" entries would entailed. The work in progress updates will now be entered into the "My Hobby and Blog" posts. Logs will now focus on providing an overview of my plans and resources for collecting, painting, and creating items for specific game systems, miniature lines, or projects.

Miniature Scale

I noticed my old Citadel miniatures are rather short compared to the more current miniatures. The adult human figures range roughly from 25 mm to 35 mm tall. From a link on miniature figures on Wikipedia, a popular scale for certain role playing games using miniatures of this scale is that 1 inch (25 mm) represents approximately 5 feet. This is not that big of a deal when using models from the same company, but is something to be aware as I mix and match miniatures from different companies. Even miniatures from the same company have some scale issues.

The World of Games and Miniatures

Anything related to past, current, and upcoming games and miniatures

Infinity March 2016 Miniature Reveals and Human Sphere N3

March 2016 Miniatures
The 6 sculpts used for Infinity RPG with different arms. For the Infinity Skirmish game, they are used as HVTs, Voronin has two profiles, one of them as a HVT and the other as a troop profile with an antipode pet. I think I like most of these alternative arm sculpts better than the ones that were exclusive to the RPG Kickstarter. The Kanren is not a bad model for RPG. The Umbra Samaritan is a nice model, but leans toward being more of a display piece rather than a game piece. I prefer game pieces to be more subtle. Human Sphere for N3 will be up for preorder next week with previews provided by Beasts of War.

Soda Pop Miniatures Rail Raiders Infinite and Upcoming Products

The chibi or super-deformed miniatures from Soda Pop now have three different game lines:

Rail Raiders Infinite - An upcoming Kickstarter for a western, science Fiction theme miniature board game. The description of the game appears in which the players have to balance between themselves from working together or competing against each other to gain the most treasure. The previews so far revealed 8 unique bandit sculpts and 3 unique Tinstar Lawbot sculpts.

Super Dungeon Explore - Is a video game, fantasy theme dungeon crawling, role playing game system. Outside of the Legends Kickstarter, there are plans for a Caverns of Roxor 2,0 version to have some new sculpts (Princess Ruby, Deeproot Scout, and Roxor); PvP Arena expansion, a Realm box expansion, and a Ninja Ambush expansion (Ninja All-Stars models).

Ninja All-Stars - Is an eastern, fantasy theme competitive league game system. I missed the Kickstarter, so I have to wait for the retail version to be released. For March, Clan Ika and Tora boxes were released. Two months later, Clan Yamazaru and Tanchyo will be released. Clan Ijin and Kitsune have no release date yet.

Buying Bases in Bulk from Reaper

I recently found out that I can purchase plastic bases at a fairly large discounted price at Reaper Miniatures. Most places you get 1-25 bases for $4 to $5 (depending on size). Buying at bulk from Reapers you can get a minimum of 250 bases at Reaper for $6 to $20 (depending on size). This saves considerable amount of money. Buying at a larger amount will also be slightly cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment