Saturday, November 28, 2015

My Hobby and Blog in November 2015

Hello! The month of November is almost over so here is another general post to review what I have accomplished and to collect my thoughts about my hobby. Compare to the last two months, the painting have slowed down as expected...and spending money on new miniatures have increased. Once the year ends, I hope that I will be able to make greater progress in painting and spend less money on new products!


I am slowly catching up on the archive pages for the miniatures completed before the blog was started. Four to five more entries to go before I start the write-ups for the 2015 completed miniatures. For the sake of better organization, I have posted three versions of the archives page organized either by categories, by alphabetical order, and by completion date. Lately, I have also started posting more my thoughts about Age of Sigmar.

When I began this blog, I was invested only in the Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40,000, and Dungeons & Dragons game systems. With my renew interest in the miniature hobby, I decided to look at other games and miniature lines. For better or worse, I indulged into three more game systems. First it was Corvus Belli's Infinity. Now I have gotten into Soda Pop Miniatures' Super Dungeon Explore and Guillotine Games' Zombicide. There are a lot of other products that I am interested in getting into such as Fantasy Flight's Star Wars Imperial Assault, Monolith Board Games' Conan, and Soda Pop Miniatures' Ninja All Stars. Unfortunately, I have to draw a line somewhere. Until I am not having fun with the games that I currently have, no more new game systems! I have plenty of models and gaming materials to keep me busy for many years to come.

Fantasy Genre Collection

Warhammer Game Setting

Warhammer Fantasy and Age of Sigmar are the two game systems I will use for large battles between fantasy denizens. I will use Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition rules to represent large massive battles. Miniatures are not representative of armies at a 1:1 scale . For 1:1 scale battles I plan to use Age of Sigmar rules. where the battles are fought between war parties rather than between armies.
Most of my miniature collection are for Games Workshop's fantasy setting. I will try to paint miniatures in batches of a leader with his or her retinue so that they can be played in Age of Sigmar and Fantasy 8th edition games. The miniatures are also plan to be used for my home brew fantasy role playing game setting. The Warhammer miniatures provide ample amount of humanoid-organized factions to enrich my home brew setting.

Dungeons & Dragons Game System and Settings

While Warhammer is the game system I want to play for competitive games in the fantasy setting, Wizard of the Coast's Dungeons & Dragons game systems are for cooperative play in the fantasy setting. To play with the young ones. I have the cooperative Dungeons & Dragons board games--Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, and Temple of Elemental Evil. In contrast to Warhammer miniatures being useful to represent organized-humanoid factions. these board games provide useful monster miniatures for a role playing game setting. My role playing game will likely be based on 4th Edition since I have almost every 4E book. I should not have a lack of material to bring my game setting to life. I also have the three main books for 5th Edition which as additional resources.

Reaper Miniatures

While I plan to use miniatures from Warhammer to represent heroes in my role playing game setting, they are mostly in clothing for war and not necessarily for adventuring. It is also mostly male figures. That is how I got interested in Reaper Miniatures as I was searching for more female models. Besides female characters, I have also purchased mouslings, giants, and dragons. There is such a large variety of monsters and heroes from Reaper that I don't think I need to look elsewhere when I need a certain figure. The Bones plastic line also provide a rather inexpensive option for miniatures! They are of fairly high quality for the price and I have pre-ordered some additional mouslings and dragons (including the 5-headed one!) from their third kickstarter project.

Science Fiction Genre Collection

Warhammer 40,000 Game Setting

Competitive game for large science fiction forces. There is only a small interest on my part to expand my collection for this game system. Unlike the other games and settings, I don't have plans to expand my collection to large armies of different factions. Maybe collect some miniatures here and there. Will focus on the Space Wolves army. Not as interested in the 40,000 universe...too grim and alien for me. I think if I do want to expand on my 40K miniature collection, I will focsu on the conflict between the Space Marine forces. Out of the 6 game systems I have invested into, 40K is of the lowest priority.

Infinity Game Setting

I like Corvus Belli's science fiction skirmish game for its emphasis on different human factions competing against each other. Small scale, mission based. I have been collecting a little bit of each faction and have invested into the RPG kickstarter. The background books that are part of the PDF master pledge should hopefully be full of information to flesh out a Science Fiction world setting. As for miniatures, I would like to get a TAG for each major faction. Currently I have 3 so far. I also would like to get more characters that would be useful for the upcoming RPG.

Board Games Collection

Super Dungeon Explore Game System

This is an alternative dungeon exploring hack and slash, fantasy video game inspired game system that uses cute 30 mm miniatures. My interest in Super Dungeon Explore is for the nostalgia of RPG video games during the 16-bit game generation. I have invested into the Legends Kickstarter and plan to play with my nephews and nieces the campaigns and adventures set in the Crystalia world. Hopefully this game will act as a nice transition from co-op DnD board games to my home brew game setting using the Dungeons & Dragons RPG system.

Zombicide Game System

I have plenty of fantasy and science fiction games, Wanting something different, I decided on find a game within a modern day-aesthetic setting. I chose Zombicide - a cooperative game of human survivors against hordes of zombies using 32 mm scale figures. So far, I have collected all three stand alone box games--Season 1, Season 2: Prison Outbreak, and Season 3: Rue Morgue--pluis the two main expansions--Toxic City Mall and Angry Neighbors. In the future, I want to also get the Lost Zombivors, Crowz, Zombie Dogs, and VIPs box sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment